Joining an Active Web Session
When a remote XTAM session is Active, other users’ with the required permissions may join this session to monitor activities or to interactively participate in the session. Depending on this other user’s permissions, they may either have an option to Join or an option to Request Join.
Regardless of which Join option is available, this user must have at least Record Control: Viewer and some level Session Control greater than None. Additionally, the option to Join will not be available if this other user is blocked due to a Workflow requirement on Session connect (Request Connect).
Join is only supported for web browser created sessions.
To Join from the Record View
- Login to XTAM with a user that has at least Record Control: Editor and Session Control permissions to the record or is an XTAM System Administrator.
- To the right of the Active Sessions entry along the top of the record, click the Join button for the Active Session you wish to join. Please note there may be more than one active session to choose from.
When the confirmation message appears, click the OK button to join the active session as an interactive participant.
To Join from the Record’s Session Report:
- Login to XTAM with a user that has at least Editor and Session Control permissions to the record or is an XTAM System Administrator.
- Click the Sessions tab along the bottom of this record.
- Select the Active session in the list, click the Actions menu and then select the Join option.
When the confirmation message appears, click the OK button to join the active session.
To Request to Join from the Record View
When the requesting user only has Record Control: Viewer or Record Control: Unlock and some level of Session Control connectivity permissions, instead of a Join option they will be given the ability to Request Join.
When Request Join is selected, the session’s Owner will receive a prompt that this user is requesting to join their session and they may either Allow or Deny this request.
- If allowed, the requested joiner will then have the option to Join as a view-only participant, meaning they may not interact with the session, but only monitor.
- If denied, then they will be unable to join nor request again to join, this active session.
- Login to XTAM with a user that has Record Control: Viewer or Record Control: Unlock and Session Control permissions to the record.
- To the right of the Active Sessions entry along the top of the record, click the Request Join button for the Active Session you wish to join. Please note there may be more than one active session to choose from.
After the Request Join button is clicked, this active session’s Owner will receive a prompt for them to either Allow or Deny the user’s request to join their session. The requesting user must now wait until the session Owner chooses to allow or deny their request.
- If the session Owner clicks Allow, then the requester’s Request Sent will change to Join and they may use it to join this session.
- If the session Owner clicks Deny, then the requester’s Request Sent will change to Join Denied and they may not join nor request to join this active session again.
The request join prompt will appear in the session Owner’s browser for about 10 seconds. If the selection is not made within this time period, then the session Owner can open the Show Participants panel from their session browser menu to locate the Allow or Deny buttons to make the desired selection for the requesting user.
After the request is allowed, click the Join button, followed by the OK button on the confirmation dialog, to join this active session as a view only participant.
When a new user joins the Active session, all current participants will receive a notification alerting them to the new user’s arrival.
From within the session, any user may also select the Show Participants option in their menu control to see the current list of participants in this session. The user who created the initial session will be marked as the Owner.
When a user leaves the session, all remaining participants will receive a notification alerting them to the user’s departure. If the Owner leaves the session, then the session will automatically complete for all remaining users.
The arrival and departure of all participants is recorded and available as Audit events for all appropriately permission-ed users to review.
Session Joining as Request approver
If you have a Workflow Binding with an Action Connect control of the Record and Workflows with a template of the Interactive approval type, approvers of this Workflow template can Join the Session, regardless of their permissions to the records.
Even without the additional permissions, these approvers can Join a Session. Navigate to Management > My Workflows > My requests.
To join the active session:
- Click Details to see all the information related to this session, which can be opened by the one who is a Request approver of the Request connect:
- If there is an active session there will be a Join button:
- Click the Sessions button that appears at the bottom of the page Workflow Instance to see the Session events or Session recording: